Sunday, June 7, 2009

Impressions of Hanoi




First I want to thank all of the people who made it possible for me to be here-Loyola Law School, Ami Silverman, Sterling Franklin and the National Lawyers Guild-thank you for your generosity.

One of the first things I said about Hanoi was that it was a beautiful and chaotic city, but after a few days I have to say that it is a whole lot more. During the midday, getting across the street is an adventure--thousands of motorbikes moving in all directions at the same time with the streets lined with markets of every type but in the mornings there is none of this. I was able to get up around 4:30 the other morning and walk to the lake in the Old District and it was silent. Hundreds of people walking around the lake, doing thai chi, and meditating--preparing for the day. It was the sort of balance that we oftentimes forget to strive for in the United States and one that I think defines life here in Hanoi. The people are intense, but kind and personal. The food is overwhelming, but you cant get enough of it and the age of the city is balanced by the energy and vitality of it.

I am honored to be here as a student representing Loyola Law School in Los Angeles and I am eager to learn as much about this place as I can. I am attaching a couple of pictures I took while at the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment